Loading... Please wait...

Our Newsletter

Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington (autographed by "Pappy" Boyington) ~ 35% Off ~ Free Shipping

  • Image 1
  • Image 2
Your Price:
$321.75 (You save $173.25)
416 C
5.00 LBS
Calculated at checkout

Product Description

FRAME SIZE: 16" x 20" ~ Ink cut-signature adhered to an ace playing card signed by: Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington . Comes with a COA. 


Lt. Col. Gregory “Pappy” Boyington • CMH

USMC/VMF-214/AVG ~ (28.00)

 Born in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho on 4 December 1912, Gregory “Pappy” Boyington grew up in Tacoma, Washington. He Graduated from the University of Washington in 1934 with a degree in aeronautical engineering and in 1936 entered Naval flight training. On 11 March 1937 he received his wings and a commission in the Marine Corps, but resigned in 1941 to join the American Volunteer Group destined for China. Boyington flew for eight months with the Flying Tigers and was unofficially credited with 6 aerial victories. He resigned from the AVG in March 1942, returned to the U.S. and reentered the Marine Corps in November 1942. Sent in January 1943 to Espiritu Santo, Boyington served as assistant operations officer. In May he transferred to VMF-222 as executive officer and shortly after became its commander. Four weeks later, however, he broke his ankle and was sidelined for two months in a Naval hospital. Returning to Espiritu Santo, he talked his way into organizing a “temporary” squadron from the pilot pool and thus was born the “Black Sheep Squadron”, assuming the VMF-214 designation from a squadron whose personnel were being rotated home. Now flying the new F4U Corsair, Boyington resumed his scoring in a big way. On 16 September he dispatched four Haps and a Zeke over Ballale Island and was credited with nine more before VMF-214’s first combat tour was completed in October. Returning to combat in December, he downed four Zekes by the end of the month. Leading a fighter sweep over Rabaul on 3 January 1944, he shot down three Zekes before being shot down himself. Picked up by a Japanese submarine, he spent the rest of the war as a POW. Liberated on 29 August 1945, Boyington returned to the States and was medically retired as a colonel in 1946.

Note: Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington died of cancer on 11 January 1988 in Fresno, California.

Find Similar Products by Category

Write your own product review

Product Reviews

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Add to Wish List

Click the button below to add the Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington (autographed by "Pappy" Boyington) ~ 35% Off ~ Free Shipping to your wish list.

You Recently Viewed...